Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

81' 300CD best cam cover/oil pan gasket(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Default 81' 300CD best cam cover/oil pan gasket(s)

I'm leaking all over the place and figured i'd start with these two gaskets.

Wanted to button them up niece and tight the first time and hopefully they'll stay this way for a while.

Looking for guidance, tech experience... this is all new to me.

Thanks....

Old 02-15-2011, 03:11 PM

I have been reading the various Mercedes forums since Sep, 2007 and have not read of anyone having a preference for any companies Oil Pan of Valve Cover Gasket .

I have seen the price of the Oil Pan Gasket from the Dealer and cost wise it is something to avoid.

I cannot recall if your year and model has a Turbo.
If it does while the Oil Pan is off you might consider changing the Turbo charger Drain Grommet and 2 O-rings and also if Oil Drain from you Air Filter goes down there ther is a little O-ring that goes on a small Nipple that sticks above the upper Oil Pan behind the Turbo Drain.
You will also need a Gasket (or make one) for the upper Tubo Drain Tube because you need to remove it also when you do the job.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 02-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM

it's not a turbo... though i am interested in the oil drain via the air filter o-ring? not sure exactly how this goes, but if the pan is off, i should replace this o-ring. can you tell me more? Also, I'll just buy the recommended gaskets from one of the leading auto parts stores and if I manage to maintain the car long enough, I'll know better then. I'm up for challenge, i think??? Appreciate all! Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by seadog
it's not a turbo... though i am interested in the oil drain via the air filter o-ring? not sure exactly how this goes, but if the pan is off, i should replace this o-ring. can you tell me more? Also, I'll just buy the recommended gaskets from one of the leading auto parts stores and if I manage to maintain the car long enough, I'll know better then. I'm up for challenge, i think??? Appreciate all! Thanks again.
You will have to trace your Drain Tube down to the bottom. On mine the Nipple is external so there is no need to remove the Pan just to replace the Air Filter Drain O-ring.

The Gaskets will be much cheaper if you buy them off the internet. As an example the Valve cover Gasket is less than $6 from autohausaz. But, there are many other places to buy from. 2 mare are europartsdirect and partsgeek.

Before you buy from anyone check the shipping. With many if ou buy over a certain amount like $50, $75,$100 they will ship UPS ground for free. That can be a considerable savings.

You can get the item you need and add something you will need later like Oil, Air or Transmission filter to bring the cost up to get the ffree shipping.