Mercedes Benz Forums

Go Back   Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums > Mercedes Benz Models > Diesel Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Mercedes Forum!
Welcome to Mercedes Forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Mercedes Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 PM

Default 300SD Rough Idle

Just purchased an 81 300SD Turbo Diesel

The engine idles with extreme vibration. as soon as you touch the pedal to bring it to about 900 RPM it smoothes right out.

It dosent seem to be missing at idle, just really vibrating.

the guy i got it from said it idled smooth before he parked it 2 years ago.... so who knows if thats a lie or not..
motor mounts maybe?

I changed the primaryfuel, main fuel, oil, and air filters today - didnt help at all.

I wound up just raising the idle a bit so the car is more driveable

any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

thanks!

-Dan
danpayton@gmail.com
Register today for free or log in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 300SD Rough Idle

Try adjusting the rack damper screw on the back of the injection pump. Also, if it has a silver color spring, you should order a new one. The new ones have a stronger gold colored spring that will work much better.

When you are ready to install it, screw it in until it just touches the rack and tighten the jam nut.
A diesel purge can also help. Diesel Purge link
If you have not done a valve adjustment in the last 15,000 miles or within the last year, it's probably due for it. Valve adjust link

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 AM

Motor mounts....definitely. You probably have/had and oil leak that soaked the mounts w/ oil. That turns the rubber to mush. It's not a bad job to replace them, I'd do the dampers too. Also check the trans mount.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM

Motor mount was it! the left oe was shot got it replaced and now it idles smooth!

Thanks!

-Dan
Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM

I just want to chime in here and say I just tried replacing the motor mounts on my 1984 300D. I did not find it to be so simple a job. There are three bolts to each mount. One bolt goes to the engine and is accessed from under the car. The other two frame bolts appear to be accessed from the top. I was never able to find a way to get to the frame bolts. They are about 2 feet down from the top of the engine and the top of one of the bolts is blocked by the arm that comes off the engine.

I've done tons of work on this car (valves, injectors, veg-oil)and this is only job that I couldn't finish. I ended up taking mine to a mechanic. [&o]
Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM

Tags
300, 300sd, adjustment, benz, front, idle, idles, left, mercede, mercedes, motor, mount, mounts, photo, rough, sd, throttle, valve