Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

300D TURBO DIESEL POWER LOSS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Default 300D TURBO DIESEL POWER LOSS

I recently broke the timing chain in my 300D. Luckily none of the pistons were damaged so I had the head rebuilt and all the broken parts replaced.

I picked up the car and it ran great, fuel milage improved, I was a happy puppy until I had to drive up the mountain.

That is when I found the loss of power.
You can hear the engine revving fine then in the power curve just dies. The car has no power climbing a hill, not like before the chain broke. On flat ground thecar screams with pickup, but go up a long hill and all the power dies.

The other day I was going up the mountain and the car was in top gear PASSING cars, ( all the previous times I would have to put the car into 3rd gear to make it up, but this time it was screaming,) then half way up the hill the power died.
The engine goes from a hi pitched power sound to a monotoned drone and with the foot to the floor - nothing.

I had the mechanic look at it, and he seems to believe that the Fuel injector pump has a bent shaft, and that is not allowing him to properly time the pump with the engine., BUT why would the car have power, then loose it?
In secong gear the power curve drops off at about 4k rpm, in third gear the power flattens out at 3,100 rpm.

It's almost as if the turbo shuts down or all the boost is being lost.
because like I said, driving down the highway, the car runs great.

any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Default RE: 300D TURBO DIESEL POWER LOSS

My first idea would be fuel delivery. I recently had a diesel tank that algee growing. I found water in the tank which may have been there one - three years. Does the 300D have two sets of fuel filters?
The injector pump in a MB is the best built, Bend shaft??? Clay