Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1985 190D Head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Question 1985 190D Head gasket?

I just bought a 190D in need of engine repair, I thought it needed injector/timing work but now that it's home, I suspect more trouble.

It will only start if peddle is held to the floor. It will run but needs enough throttle to keep it at 1500-2000 rpm or better. It has no power and will barely move by itself. The oil pressure guage is maxed out the entire time it is running. If I remove the oil cap with it running, it blows oil everywhere.

Can anyone confirm my diagnosis of blown head gasket or give me a more likely cause?

I'm a pretty good parts replacer, but not so good with diagnostics.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 AM

Having pondered my situation overnight, I suppose it could be a number of problems:
Head Gasket
Worn or Damaged piston, rings or cylinder
Burned or stuck valve(s)

I'll know more when I get the head pulled. Any advice on what to look for? Anybody?

Thanks
Bryan

Old 05-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Blowing oil when you remove the oil cap is just bad blow by, not a blown head gasket. For that you would potentially have oil in the coolant or vice versa. Blow by is symptomatic of bad valve guides/seals. Start with a valve adjustment, although it sounds like you may already have some damage. Anything above an idle the oil pressure gauge should be maxed out.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM

Good to know, I'll try a valve adjustment first and chack my injectors for the low power, and not wanting to idle. I'll post a follow up when that is done, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Self adjusting valves, so no improvement yet. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Default check previous post?

check today post " 330d starts doesn't run", there's a video of the scene in one of those links and the comment's sound good. Many replies if you follow the thread tell us what it is when you find out for sure.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 PM

I have been watching the other post, it is similar, but I already tried removing the cap on mine, it does not help. The other difference is I can keep mine running if I hold the peddle down. Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep checking both threads and I'll keep trying every idea. I just bought this car as a project and have never had it running correctly. I will check the air intake system though, that could be part of it. The car was filthy inside and out when I got it so I assume it has had minimum maintenance, maybe changing fluids, some fresh fuel and filters?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Not really, other than to have someone perform a compression and a leak-down test. That will tell you the health of the cylinders and valves.

And if you have not changed the fuel and air filters, do so before trying anything else. It could be as simple as a completely clogged air filter.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Default Is this a 4 or 5 cyl engine

I am not sure what motor it came with Thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM

It is the 2.2 litre 4 cylinder non-turbo. I have glow plugs and injector nozzles on order. I will change those out and see where I stand.

Quick Reply: 1985 190D Head gasket?