Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Engine Detailing (W107 Example)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Default Engine Detailing (W107 Example)

Here is an example of a 1989 560 SL engine I detailed this past summer. The protective coating of cosmoline that is present on many of these engines is quite difficult to remove, but essentially preserves the engine, especially the aluminum

I always pressure wash a warm engine (run engine approximately 5 minutes) and then spray with a all-purpose cleaner diluted 50% like Simple Green. I use various brushes to soften up the cosmoline and then spray off with the pressure washer again (2000 psi max).

[IMG]local://upfiles/9629/398890D6E6AF4E828E3B14DED3C786F9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9629/6ED1BCF3B6BD45208BA41EDF17FEBC71.jpg[/IMG]

The remaining cosmoline is removed with various grades of steel wool 00 to 0000 and APC 50%. The aluminum components are cleaned with the finest wool 0000 and great care is used not to scratch the aluminum and care must be used when working near OEM factory stickers. Always remove the pink original coolant tag on the left side of the engine prior to detailing and replace when finished. The factory stickers should also be cover with tape prior to pressure washing avoid directly washing these sticker with the pressurized water.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9629/8296EE726AAC44F993110AF6DE47776C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9629/8DFEE0F694B1416E8369B6524FD3A08D.jpg[/IMG]

The aluminum components on this engine were hand polished with Mothers Aluminum polish, and I have used numerous other metal polishes in the past with similar results. The engine is then sprayed down with a water based dressing (never use a solvent based dressing) and the engine is warmed again to evaporate any water. I finish the engine with a light aerosal based water dressing to "touch-up" any areas missed. Occasionally I have buffed the air filter cover to a mirrorlike shine with the use of metal compounds and a Baldor buffer. I am not a big fan of this because it does not look original, but some really like this look.

As much as I hate removing cosmoline from these engines, you cannot argue that the cosmoline really preserves the engine. The detail on theis engine took approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Happy detailing !!!

Old 12-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Detailing (W107 Example)

most components are aluminum.

everytime i overhaul one, i painstakingly wash them clean and shiny by just using kerosene or gasoline.

yes, that cosmoline is like a wax and better if the pressure washer is steam.

thank you for the tips

Old 12-17-2005, 10:56 PM

Looks nice. Wanna do mine?

I used to de-cosmoline VWs when I was a kid. It's a treated wax and was sprayed on the entire outside of all VWs shipped to the US. It was put on to protect the paint, chrome, and glass. I would drenched the car with a solvent (I don't know what kind), let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, then wash it off with soap and water. Can't do that under the hood. I'm just rambling.

Just about everyone who pressure washes their M-B engine bay is sorry they did. Not careful enough, I guess. They never run right again.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Nice job, but doesn't cosmoline, smell as it heats up. I like lugnut's answer Kerosene, great for fires also?

Old 01-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah you gots to be careful cleaning any engine. Get water in the wrong places and ya engine will sound like there's water in place it shouldn't be. Especially be careful around them vital electrical components or you will have a lot more to worry about than a dirty engine. And I'm getting my engine detailed before I ship it so now I have a picture of how it's suppose to look and my engine isn't half that dirty. Too bad I don't and won't have the time to do it myself. And if that cosmoline is there to protect the aluminum, shouldn't it stay on the engine or do you re-apply it?

Old 01-25-2006, 01:12 PM

I "washed" my engine last weekend. I spend a good half hour, wrapping anything that looked like a electrical connection, took off the air cleaner and cover the TB. After I was done the car started, I drove it around the block a couple of times and it ran fine. I turned off the engine. About an hour later I went out to go somewhere and it wouldn't start (70 450SLC). So I had some cans of spray air, I but them by the 6 pack at a local wholesale club. I sprayed every electrical connector, took off the distributor cap, etc. still crank like crazy but didn't start. finally I took out starter fluid sprayed the TP. remounted the air clearner and spray inside it and the horn, the spark plug wires. It started! but ran rough for about 20 minutes, stalled once of twice but fired right up. Blackwolf you advice is right on the money. Almost a week later the engine runs fine, like nothing was wrong. Your last question about Cosmoline, it will eventually burn off. According to how thick it is applied it will could take a while for it to burn off.

The next day, I took some mothers metal polish and a small battery powered buffer I have and polished the valve covers, looks nice. But I don't think I will be washing the engine too much on this car.