Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

buffing out scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Default buffing out scratches

Where do I go to get my paint "buffed out" to get rid of the minor scratches and swirl marks? How much does this service usually cost?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Default RE: buffing out scratches

Any body shop or detail shop can do it. The charge depends on the shop. Some are better than others and charge more. It costs about $100 for a good detail job, so expect to pay more than that.

There are several ways to address swirls marks. You're probably going to get a bunch of opinions and arguments on this topic from self-appointed experts.

You can do it yourself for little cost but lots of work, relatively speaking. All the car care vendors sell swirl mark remover. You apply it like wax. You may need multiple coats. The advantage of this method is that no paint is removed. The scratches are filled in with chemicals that make the swirls disappear. If you go this route, wash your car in the future with soap meant for washing cars. Other detergents, like Dawn, will remove the chemicals that fill the swirls.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

There are several ways to address swirls marks. You're probably going to get a bunch of opinions and arguments on this topic from self-appointed experts.
You damn right he is Lug.

I would wet sand the car with very fine sand paper. Then polish it with a power polisher not a buffer if u use a buffer it will burn through the paint however a polisher will not catch an "edge" so it will not burn through the paint. If you take this route i suggest that u first practice on something else first and dont even try it if u dont feel comfortable this is for people with experience only!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM

You should practice on one of mbz's cars.

What year is your car? The newer it is, the thinner the clearcoat will be, so be extra super careful if you try this paint removal method.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

No Lug I say they practice on ur Vette.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 PM

See what I'm saying? He wants you to damage your car or mine, not his. Don't even try the wet sanding. Use a scratch filler if you do it yourself.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Like i said only do it if u feel comfortable and have practiced it will give u the best possible out come but it does run a very high risk.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

I wet sand and buff only new fresh paint. I polish paint with a series of mild compounds using proper tools. You can ruin your cars finish easy without learning how to treat it right. I would pay a good detailer to do it and stick around and watch him do the job, you will learn a lot.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:26 PM

I wil have to disagree about it costing $100.

Here in So. Cali a wash and wax is about $100.

Expect a real pro. to charge $300 to $500 depending on how much work in inviolved for a flawless finish.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM

I'm happy to help anyone such as yourself who has a reading deficiency. If you read my post again, maybe a light bulb will go off this time and you'll understand the English as I wrote it, but maybe not. If not, ask for help and I'll be glad to translate it for you.

Quick Reply: buffing out scratches